CHAMBER FRIDAY FLASH – April 18, 2014
Forest Grove/Cornelius Chamber of Commerce – Weekly News & updates
For and from our chamber members
P: 503.357.3006 F: 503.357.2367
- Monday Luncheon: Our next Monday Luncheon is scheduled for April 21, 2014 at 12:00 at the City Auditorium and the cost is $10.00/members and $12.00/guests. Jennings McCall will be the luncheon sponsor, 1910 Main will be the Caterer and the Adelante Mujeres will be the program. Please RSVP to the Chamber by email, email@example.com or by phone 503-357-3006 as soon as possible.
Community Events and Announcements: “Who says there’s nothing going on in Forest Grove and Cornelius?!”….we will provide basic info and a link and/or phone number for more details. If you need additional information, feel free to contact us. In addition, the events calendar on our website is a great source for ongoing and future activities.
For those of you hosting special events and activities the next several weeks, be sure to forward that information to us so that we can share it here as well as post it on our website calendar of events.
- Kiwanis Club members will be hiding more than 3,000 chocolate and plastic eggs at Pacific University, including 12 eggs containing special prizes. The fun starts when the Forest Grove Fire Department blows the whistle at 9 a.m. Saturday, April 19, on the main quad at Pacific University, 2043 College Way.
- Marquis Forest Grove, 3300 19th Ave., will host its annual Marquis Egg Hunt Eggstravaganza at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 19. The hunt will feature 13,000 candy- and prize-filled eggs.
- McMenamins Grand Lodge, 3505 Pacific Ave., will host outdoor egg hunts at 9 and 11 a.m. for ages 1 to 10. Admission: free. The Grand Lodge will also have a special Easter brunch menu.
- The Dairy Creek Community Food Web presents An Anthony- Masterson Film “Grow” Third Thursday Food Film Festival at Forest Grove Grange 1917 B Street. April 17, 7:30 pm. Free Film, Free Popcorn, Fine Conversation. See you there.
- “Tory’s Place – upscale women’s resale, www.torysplace.com has extended it hours of operation from Fridays and Saturdays to Thursdays from 11 am – 5 pm. Be sure to stop by for 25% off selected seasonal jackets, dresses, shoes, sweaters, and blouses, as well as, other great deals! “
- 1910 Main-An American Bistro-Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday Specials. Tuesday-buy one sandwich-get one sandwich ½ off, Wednesday-buy one burger get one burger ½ off, Thursday-pizza and pints-Personal Pizza and 16oz. Draft Beer $9.95.
- This month’s theme at A Framer’s Touch is “Four Legged and Furry”. It’s dog month! There are many ways to frame your favorite pooch that reflects both your style and his personality. Dogs have a lot of spunk, and if yours is the biggest personality in the house, then you need a framing package that can live up to the real life reputation! Also, A Framer’s Touch is now on Instagram! Follow us at: instagram.com/aftgallerygifts
- Save the Date April 28, 2014, Meet the Candidates for Washington County Commission
Taylor Auditorium, Pacific University Forest Grove. More information to come.
- A Blooming Hill Vineyard is excited to release its most popular summer wine – Mingle! Available this weekend! We’re also debuting our brand new Tee-Shirt! Visit Friday – Sunday between noon and 5 PM!
- Banks Country Fitness Forest Grove Special-1/2 of your first month. Give Us A Month And Watch Your Body Transform! 971-295-7511 or bankscountryfitness.blogspot.com
- BJ’S Coffee Co. is offering a Costa Rica Coffee Tasting3 different coffees, 2 producing regions, 1 great experiencelimited quantities for purchaseRoaster Nathan Palmer will be pouring and answering questions Saturday April 19 from 10 am to 12 noon
- Upcoming Events at the Urban Decanter
Friday April 18, 6-9 pm Omero Cellars Wine Tasting. $5 tasting fee and 10% off on wines of the flight. Tasting free with bottle purchase from flight.
Saturday April 19, 6-10 pm Beck’s 2 Year Anniversary Party. Catering by Bro Dogs and music by Tracy and the Bando’Coots.
Friday April 25 6-9 pm Wine tasting with importer Ewald Moseler featuring German Wines. $5 tasting fee and 10% off on wines of the flight. Tasting free with bottle purchase from flight.
- Spring Accordion Social. Sunday, April 27, 2014 1:30- 5:00 pm, Forest Grove Senior and Community Center. The featured performer will Andy Mirkovich. Admission: Adults $5.00. This event is hosted by Doris Osgood and the Tualatin Valley Accordionists for the Northwest Accordion Society.
- Dove Haven House Bake Shop is a licensed home base bakery serving Forest Grove, Hillsboro, Beaverton and the Portland area. They specialize in unique wedding cakes, custom cakes, mini cakes, cupcakes and cookies. They appreciate the trust that their loyal customers give them, by allowing them to make memorable cakes that are the centerpiece of your next special occasion. Contact information 503-501-6397 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Imagine a simple way to reward your customers and increase loyalty at the same time. Anovia Payments provides you with your very own private label rewards program that only promotes your business.
The best way to encourage customers to make repeat purchases is through a closed loop loyalty program – where customers earn reward certificates which can only be used at your place of business on a subsequent new purchase.
Unlike other loyalty programs and mobile apps, our partners at Firefly Rewards™ will never tell your customers which other businesses are using our marketing platform. That’s because we want your customers to remain loyal to you and not be enticed to try your competitors. It’s the best way to increase business sales.
Nothing keeps customers coming back for more like free rewards! With Anovia Rewards, customers earn points every time they buy from their Anovia merchant. There is no additional cost for the business owner to implement the program and enrollment is fast and easy.
The system allows merchants to build a customer database, which collects valuable customer information, including spending, transactions, frequency of purchases and more. Plus merchants can easily communicate with their customer’s right through the reward platform via email or text.
For the customer, this program adds up to exciting rewards simply for shopping at their favorite places – and for the merchant it means satisfied customers who are motivated to spend more. Talk about a win-win!
Find out more about this incredible way to increase your cash flow and customer loyalty. Ask yourself, “how is my debit/credit card processor helping me reward my customers and grow my business?” Then ask me how I can help in getting this started for your business.
See you in The Grove,
Matthew R. Stone
503.867.6780 – phone
email@example.com – email
- Beginning in April, the Small Business Development Center of PCC PCC will begin offering small business training grants, for more information check out this link http://www.forestgrove-or.gov/latest-news/small-business-training-grants-available-from-city.html
- We are very excited to partner with the Feinstein Foundation this year to raise funds for the YMCA Family Resource Center in Forest Grove! The Feinstein Foundation was created in 1991 by Rhode Island philanthropist, Alan Shawn Feinstein to alleviate hunger. Rhode Island philanthropist, Alan Feinstein, calls the Feinstein Challenge “the greatest grass-roots campaign ever to fight hunger in our country.”
Every dollar and every pound we raise for the food pantry during the months of March and April 2014 counts toward our share of Alan Feinstein’s million dollar give away. We will report how much we have raised and the Feinstein Foundation will divide the one million dollars proportionately among all participating agencies complying.
During 2013, the YMCA Family Resource Center provided more than 51,000 pounds of food through its safety net and we are planning to serve even more this year!
Please help us make our first year of participation a successful one! Be creative and organize a food drive or fundraising event for us! By supporting our food pantry during the months of March & April, your donation will stretch even farther to reach the hungry in our area. But hurry, as the closing date for this challenge is approaching fast! This is a great opportunity for all of us to help in this campaign
Help us make a real different to their lives by providing these vital services!
For more information contact us at 503-359-2598.
- BANFF MOUNTAIN FILM FESTIVAL WORLD TOUR
- Tickets: Went on sale April 4th at all Portland-Metro area REI locations. $13/REI members, $18/non-members
Presented locally by Adventures Without Limits and REI
Where: Cinema 21 Theater – 616 NW 21st Avenue Ave, Portland, OR
Date: April 22 -24, 2014 Show starts at 6 pm each night
Call 503-359-2568 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more
- Creative types take note: writer Robbie Pock (MFA Pacific U) will be leading a new Writer’s Workshop at Periscope Books & Tutoring. It will meet on Fridays 6-8, starting April 4th and going for 8 weeks. This will be a short form workshop (poetry, short stories, and non-fiction vignettes). The registration fee is $80. For more information, call 503-746-5669 or email email@example.com
- SOLVE IT presented by Portland General Electric. Celebrating 25 years of Earth day Action! Saturday, April 26, 2014, 9 am -1 pm. For more information visit solveoregon.org or call 503-844-9571
- Hungry for lunch? Well the Soups on! If you are 60 or older and looking for a great place for lunch and activities, why not consider Meals on Wheels People Forest Grove Center? We serve delicious and nutritious lunches with a choice of entrée, full salad bar and homemade soup every weekday from 11:30 to 12:30. The suggested donation is $3, but no one is turned away and we have activities to meet all lifestyles.
Come early and join us for coffee and good company from 8 am through the lunch service. Drop in and ask for a tour and a monthly calendar. Volunteer opportunities also available. Stop by today. We are located in the Forest Grove Senior & Community Center at 2037 Douglas Street. Phone is 503-359-4818 or visit us at mealsonwheelspeopl.org!
Do you Need Meals Delivered? If you are age 60 or older, homebound and unable to cook for yourself, Meals on Wheels People Forest Grove Center will bring you fresh, hot nutritious meal Monday through Friday. All it takes is a phone call. Meals are provided on a donation basis and available to any qualified senior, regardless of income. Call 503-736-6325 or visit mealsonwheelspeopl.org to register today!
- The City Club of Forest Grove is kicking of the 2014 First Wednesday Season on May 7th 4-8 pm. The theme is “Spring into Action” which will celebrate Forest Grove’s non-profits and charities. Main Street will be closed to allow for booths on the street and for the Kick off the 2014 Farmers Market season as well.
If you would like to offer a special, a promotion, a discount, a product or value deal or if you are featuring wine, music, art or entertainment by please let me know by April 22 and we will help promote it. If you would like booth space on Main Street please read and complete the attached application for eligibility. The fee is only $10.
City Club is also planning some exciting opportunities for 2014 including Featured Businesses and a “Golden Ticket” valu-pack. Watch for an Announcement Soon!
NEED a ROOM TO HOLD a MEETING- REMEMBER your membership with the Chamber allows you to use our board room for meetings on a scheduled basis. Stop by and check it out.
LOOKING AHEAD: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LIKE TO PLAN AHEAD!
- BCF Crossfit’s Summer Athletes Camp June 16th –August 14th- Monday thru Thursday 10:00 -11:15 am. For more details, visit bankscountryfitness.blogspot.com and click on the Athlete’s Summer Camp page.
- Washington County Leadership Breakfast- Boy Scouts of America, Cascade Pacific Council. Please join us for Breakfast, April 30 at Tuality Community Hospital Health Education Center. 335 SE 8th Ave. check-in and Breakfast @ 6:45 Program from 7-8 am. The key-note speaker will be Matt Floberg, University of Oregon Fullback, 2000-2003. Catering will be provided by Maggie’s Buns of Forest Grove. For more information contact Brian Blachly at 503-225-5737 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tillamook Forest Events
Second Saturdays: May 10th June 7th
Its story time at the Tillamook Forest Center! Join us to explore the forest through stories, songs, and activities – geared for young children (ages 3-6) and their caregivers. We will start off with an engaging children’s story and follow up with a fun activity; sure to entertain the wee ones. Each month we will host a different forest adventure, so come along and let our naturalists tell you a Tillamook Tale! This program is FREE and will be held the second Saturday of each month at the Tillamook Forest Center and includes a snack.
Please note: April 12 we are hosting our annual Arbor Week Tree Plant and will not be offering Tillamook Tales.
Wildfire Awareness Week
May 7th – 11th
Will your home survive a wildfire? Do you know what part of your home is most vulnerable to fire? Visit the Tillamook Forest Center for answers to these questions, free information, demonstrations and more during Wildfire Awareness Week in Oregon.
- Meet Smokey Bear
The first 50 visitors on Saturday, May 10th will receive a FREE 8 ½” X 11” color plant brochure (a $5 value)
- More details coming soon!
The Oregon Department of Forestry encourages home and property owners to take steps now to increase the fire-resistance of their structures.
- Salmon Release Walk
Specific dates and times coming soon!
Submerge yourself in the world of salmon. In the Tillamook State Forest, salmon live in the cool, clear rivers that run through the Coast Range. Join us to explore life cycles, habitat requirements, and the underwater oasis of these dynamic fish. We will be exploring the wild salmon habitat as we walk a short distance to release live small fry into Jones Creek.
- Square-Foot Gardening Saturday, May 3, 2014 2-4:00 pm. Forest Grove Senior & Community Center.
- Mark your calendars. The May Chamber Luncheon will be held at Prime Time. Noon, May 19th. See you there.
- North Willamette Vintners Upcoming Events
May 24-26 Memorial Weekend in Wine Country
August 9 Canines Uncorked
October 4 North Willamette Harvest Trail and Grand Tasting
November 28-30 A North Willamette Thanksgiving
For more information visit NWVintners.org
- Cruis’n the Grove, 5th Annual Car Show and Block Party, Saturday, July 19, 2014. All proceeds go to benefit the Forest Grove Senior & Community Center. $15 registration fee per vehicle. Location of event: 2037 Douglas St. Forest Grove. For more information: 503-357-2021 or www.fgscc.org
The Forest Grove/Cornelius Chamber Of Commerce is an organization for business and professional people who work together to stimulate a prosperous business environment for a more vibr