CHAMBER FRIDAY FLASH
November 16, 2012
Forest Grove Chamber of Commerce
Weekly News and Updates
For and From our chamber members
Lunch with Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici! Last chance to RSVP for the lunch meeting next Monday (the 19th). To allow for our regular networking opportunities as well as plenty of time for her to share information with us, we will start serving lunch at 11:30am, the program will start promptly at noon and we are anticipating the meeting will adjourn about 1:15pm. This is a slightly extended time frame for the monthly lunch, so wanted to give those planning to attend plenty of notice!!!! Congresswoman Bonamici is making time to visit with our business community, we hope that many of you will have the time to join us!!!
A reminder that our lunch meetings are held at the Forest Grove Community Auditorium (1915 Main Street) and the cost is $8.00/members and $10.00/guests. Advance reservations are requested by 5:00pm today (Friday the 16th) and can be made by phone (503.357.3006) or via email.
WINE RAFFLE TIME – Holiday season means wine raffle time ….the annual FUNraiser that we ask ALL of you to be a part of! The success of the raffle depends on participation by everyone ….both your donation of wine for the raffle AND the selling of raffle tickets! Tickets are still only $5.00/ea, there are five winners and we sell a maximum of 1,000 tickets. We began distributing tickets earlier this week, will have them at the Monday Lunch Meeting, you can pick them up here at the office or give us a call and we will drop a supply off to you! Thanks to Pacific University and Barry & Jill Wilson, we also have our first donations as well! Winners need not be present to win ~ the drawings will be at the December lunch meeting (Monday, the 19th). Thanks in advance to everyone for assisting with this fall chamber fundraiser!
Welcome New Members: Please join us in welcoming the newest member to our chamber “family”!!! We are delighted to have her as a new member and thank her for her commitment to being part of the local business community.
- Janet Peters Insurance, Inc. (Allstate Insurance Company) Many of you have worked with Janet the past several years in her role as Sale Director at the News-Times. Janet decided to make a career change and is now among the ranks of a “special group” …the small businesses owners of Forest Grove! She officially took the reins of her new venture on November 1st and is busy getting settled in! Her office is located at 2305A Pacific Avenue (next to Hot Spot Spa). Drop her a “welcome to the chamber” email, or give her a call at 503.357.7179 to say welcome. Save the Date – December 7th for an office-warming party at Janet’s new office, sponsored by the News-Times. More details to follow
Happy Anniversary BJ’s Coffee Company! Tomorrow, Saturday, November 17th – BJ’s Coffee will be celebrating their 20th anniversary…all day long…from 7am -7pm …live music, food, raffles, special prices on coffee by the pound, sample roasting all day long and more!!! Stop by to help them celebrate! Thanks for a great 20 years Becky Jo and staff – we look forward to another 20!
Happy Grand Opening ~ The Tasting Room at 1910 Main. 1910 Main An American Bistro is opening their newest addition, The Tasting Room on Saturday (the 17th). The Tasting Room will provide a venue for you to enjoy the wines of several of our local vintners who do not have their own tasting room. The entrance is just “around the corner” from the restaurant itself at the corner of Main and 19th. They will be featuring Opening Weekend specials on Saturday and Sunday from 11am-6pm …stop by and enjoy complimentary appetizers while doing a little wine tasting!
Congratulations to Richard Kidd, Victoria Lowe and Elena Uhing and Thanks to Tom BeLusko. You are invited to join us at a community event on the 26th at 4:00pm at the Community Auditorium – it will be a “swearing in ceremony” for the three newly elected councilors followed by a reception for them and our outgoing councilor, Tom BeLusko. We thank Tom for all of his effort during his tenure on the council and we hope that you can join us on the 26th to say “thanks”, “welcome” and “good luck”!
Chamber Partners in the News:
Congratulation to Professor Brosing. Pacific Physics Professor Julia Brosing has been named 2012 Oregon Professor of the Year by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and CASE, the Council for Advancement and Support of Education. Brosing is the first faculty member from Pacific to be selected for this honor. Complete press release is available on Pacific’s website.
Community Events and Announcements: Always lots going on ….we will provide basic info and a link and/or phone number for more details. If you need additional information, feel free to contact us. In addition, the events calendar on our website is a great source for ongoing and future activities.
For those of you hosting special events and activities the next several weeks, be sure to forward that information to us so that we can share it here as well as post it on our website calendar of events.
- 4th Annual Caring for our Community Auction is tomorrow, Saturday, November 17; 5:30 to 9:00 pm. Live and silent auction – all proceeds benefit local agencies, severe weather shelter and other ministries of FG UCC. More info at their website. Great fun to benefit great projects! Check it out!
- The City of Forest Grove Community Forestry Commission will hold a free tree pruning workshop tomorrow (Saturday, the 17th) at Talisman Park in Forest Grove beginning at 9:00 AM. For more information, visit the City website.
- Visitation/St. Francis Youth Group is hosting a Breakfast on Sunday (the 18th) at the Visitation Parish Center, 4285 NW Visitation Road, Forest Grove. The breakfast will be served from 8:30 – 11:30am and includes Verboort Sausage, pancakes, scrambled eggs, applesauce, cookies, and assorted beverages. Proceeds will benefit the Youth Group Mission Trip toNew Orleans. Questions: Contact Dana Vandecoevering – 503.502.6444.
- There have been several recent changes at the News-Times. Join the staff next Tuesday, Nov. 20, from 4:30-6 p.m. at a community open house at the office (2038 Pacific Ave.) to congratulate Christian Gaston for his new job with The Oregonian and Editor Nancy Townsley and Sales Director Michelle Thomas on their promotions.
- Looking for a burst of end-of-year business? The News-Times has a great “Buy, Buy, FREE!” offer for any Chamber member during December. Buy two ads and get the third ad for free. Contact Michelle at 503.357.3181 for details.
- Holiday in the Grove … Saturday, December 1st…celebration from “dawn to dark” in downtown Forest Grove. The day starts off with Breakfast with Santa (8:30 – 11:30am) at Grendel’s and continues throughout the day with over 20 events and activities. From hayrides to story telling, artisans market and craft projects, music concerts and more! The popular Holiday Light Parade starts at 5:00pm and Pacific University’s Music Department is presenting their holiday concert at 7:30pm. Definitely a day that has something for everyone. Complete listing of events, registration form for parade participants, gingerbread contest information …all available on the Forest Grove City Club website. Enjoy a “Day in the Grove” and support your local businesses!
- The Chamber has strings of indoor led lights available for use … these lights were purchase several years ago with a CEP (Community Enhancement Project) grant. They are available free of charge, we just ask that you return them in January so they can be used again next year! Stop by to pick up some for your office and/or business windows or give us a call and we can drop them off!
- YE OLDE HOLIDAY CELEBRATION… a Sherry Hour Traditional to the British Isles and Celtic Lands featuring coffee, tea, clarets, Sherry, Port, Wine, Cheese, Crackers, Biscuits, Christmas cookies and Pastries. A benefit for West Tuality Habitat for Humanity sponsored by Maggie’s Buns, The Friendly Vine Wine Shop and Grendel’s Restaurant and Bar, this event will be on Wednesday, November 28th from 5-8pm at the corner of Main and Pacific (in the space between Grendel’s and the Friendly Vine). Tickets are $10.00 and can be purchased at the door.
- Tickets are now on sale for the annual Christmas with the Trail Band concert. The concert will be on Wednesday, December 5th, 7:00pm at Forest Grove High School (1401 Nichols Lane). Tickets can be purchased at the John L Scott office (FG location, 1936 Pacific Avenue) and the FGSD Office (1728 Main Street). For more information, contact Susan McDowell at 503.357.7060 or via email.
- SAVE THE DATE …Wednesday the 5th (before you head over to the Trail Band Concert), join us downtown for the first annual “Celebrity Ring-Off”! For an hour that evening (5:30-6:30pm), Mayor Truax, Police Chief Schutz and Fire Chief Kinkade will don red aprons and ring bells in downtown Forest Grove to raise money for the Salvation Army. This friendly competition gives you an opportunity to make a donation in your “kettle of choice” as these three engage in a little friendly competition to earn the most donations AND win the coveted title of “Best Bell-Ringer! Complete details on the City website. An hour of fun for a great cause!
Consider helping others in need this holiday season:
- B Street Self Storage is collecting food as well as Christmas items for foster kids. From now until December 21st, they will have a collection barrel for the Oregon Food Bank and wish lists for the Teenagers in Foster Care thru DHS. You can drop by donations or pick up a wish list for a foster teenager at their office – 1610B Street. Give them a call at 503.359.9232 if you have questions or need further information.
- Local Girl Scout Troop 41283 is assisting again this year with the annual Forest Grove Fire & Rescue’s Annual Toy Drive with an emphasis on teens. They will be collecting donations from November 1st through December 14th. You can drop off unwrapped gifts at chamber partner Ballad Towne Chiropractic (1905 Mountain View Lane, Suite 400) or Ben Recek/Edward Jones office (1910 Main Street, Suite D, office entrance is on 19th Avenue). For more information contact Angie Lanter (503.201.0967) or Michelle Robles (503.840.7723).
- Now through December 31st, Godfather’s Pizza in Forest Grove is sponsoring their annual Holiday Food Drive. They are accepting donations of non perishable food items for People AND Pets to donate to local humane societies, homeless shelters and church groups. For everyone 20 items collected, they will donate a large pizza to Faith Café – an organization that serves hot meals every Sunday night to anyone in need. A “wish list” is available at the restaurant or contact the Chamber and will forward it to you.