CHAMBER FRIDAY FLASH
November 09, 2012
Forest Grove Chamber of Commerce
Weekly News and Updates
For and From our chamber members
We are pleased to announce that Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici will be joining us at the November monthly lunch meeting, Monday, November 19th. To allow for our regular networking opportunities as well as plenty of time for her to share information with us, we will start serving lunch at 11:30am, the program will start promptly at noon and we are anticipating the meeting will adjourn about 1:15pm. This is a slightly extended time frame for the monthly lunch, so wanted to give those planning to attend plenty of notice!!!! Congresswoman Bonamici is making time to visit with our business community, we hope that many of you will have the time to join us!!!
A reminder that our lunch meetings are held at the Forest Grove Community Auditorium (1915 Main Street) and the cost is $8.00/members and $10.00/guests. Advance reservations are requested NO LATER THAN November 16th and can be made by phone (503.357.3006) or via email. We are already at approximately ½ capacity – rsvp soon to confirm your seat.
Welcome New Members: Please join us in welcoming the newest members to our chamber “family”!!! We are delighted to have them as new members and thank them for their commitment to being part of the local business community.
- Mood Swings Salon – Co-owner Laura Contreras has been working with many of you since the opened a couple of years ago, and we are delighted to be able to share her information with our chamber community. You can drop her a “welcome to the chamber” email, or give her a call at 503.929.6719 to say welcome and/or make an appointment! Welcome Laura, we look forward to working with you.
- Urban Decanter – Since purchasing the business in April, new owner Becky Kramer has been busy putting her “personal stamp” on every product in the store! If you been in the shop in a while, be sure to stop by! Located in downtown Forest Grove (2030 Main Street), it is a convenient location to shop, meet friends or hold that special get together. Stop in to see her or drop her an email. And, for you facebook and Tweeter users, you will find interesting updates from the shop there as well! Welcome Becky! Thanks for all you involvement in the community since purchasing the shop – we look forward to continuing to work with you!
- Forest Grove Leader – The newest print publication to represent Western Washington County, the Leader is a weekly publication of the Oregonian, providing news and information on Forest Grove, Cornelius, Banks, Gaston and the other outlaying areas of our “side” of the county. Our chamber contact person for the publication is Monica Butler. She can be reached via email or by phone at 503.294.4145. Welcome Monica – we look forward to working with you and your staff.
Congratulations and thanks to Richard Kidd, Victoria Lowe and Elena Uhing. The election results are in …and these three community members who were willing to “step up to serve” will begin a four year term on City Council starting on Monday, November 26th. You are invited to join us at a community event on the 26th at 4:00pm at the Community Auditorium – it will be a “swearing in ceremony” for these three newly elected councilors as well as a thank you to our outgoing councilor, Tom BeLusko. We thank Tom for all of his effort during his tenure on the council and we hope that you can join us on the 26th to say “thanks”, “welcome” and “good luck”!
Newest update bulletin the Small Business Development Center is now available. It contains information on 2013 Small Business Management classes along with other workshops and events. Click here to review the newsletter. In addition, information is now available on the free OSHA workshops being offered in November and December. Check out their website for more information.
The last couple of weeks we referenced the Small Business Saturday. The program was started a couple years ago by American Express to promote small businesses. Here is an opportunity for local small businesses to tie into this promotion ……The News-Times is creating a special page in the Nov.21 edition to build on American Express’ nationwide “Small Business Saturday” promotion and encourage our community to shop local. “Shop Local Saturday” will be a spot color page dedicated for area merchants to advertise their specials and will include the News-Times’ “Top 10 Reasons to Shop Local.” The 2 column x 4” ads are $69, with a 10% discount for Chamber members ($62.10.) There’s limited space available so call Michelle by Nov.14 at 503-357-3181.
The McTeacher Nights continue this week with representatives from Tom McCall “serving you” on the 15th! Thanks to McDonalds of Forest Grove for once again offering this tremendous FUNraiser for the Forest Grove School District. A reminder that on the designated Thursdays from 4:30pm – 7:30pm 25% of sale proceeds will go to one of the elementary schools.. During that time, the teachers and staff are also going to help out …so you can watch your favorite teachers and staff members in action …at the counter, drive-thru…who knows …maybe even dishing up those famous fries!! Future Thursdays: Joseph Gale on November 29th and December 6th Cornelius Elementary.
Chamber Partners in the News:
Congratulations to Dave Nemeyer, Fire Division Chief, for receiving the State Fire Marshal’s Golden Sparky Award which recognizes a fire service member for outstanding achievement in fire prevention or public fire safety education. Always there to assist when we have a question and/or to lend a helping hand, we can only say ….a recognition well deserved! Congratulations Dave.
Community Events and Announcements: Always lots going on ….we will provide basic info and a link and/or phone number for more details. If you need additional information, feel free to contact us. In addition, the events calendar on our website is a great source for ongoing and future activities.
Yes, whether we are “ready or not”, the 2012 holiday season is upon us!!
A reminder to Shop Local, Support Local!
We will share information as we receive it from individual members. For those of you hosting special events and activities the next couple of months, be sure to forward that information to us so that we can share it here as well as post it on our website calendar of events.
- Last weekend to catch Theatre in the Grove’s production of The Rocky Horror Show, which has received rave reviews. Evening performances tonight and tomorrow (Fri & Sat) and closing out with a special midnight performance on Saturday. For complete details and ticket order, visit their website or call them at 503.359.5349.
- Pacific University’s Music Department fall concert season continues tonight with the Symphonic Band Concert. The Symphonic Band opens its concert series with “Fanfare and Flourishes”, an appropriate way to kick off the season for this talented group of Pacific musicians. Information on this and other concerts and events on campus available on the Pacific University website.
- Friday Date Night at Plum Hill Vineyards. This popular, monthly event runs from 5-8pm and features complimentary wine tasting, snacks and music. A fun way to unwind and spend a little time with friends. For more information on this and upcoming holiday events at the winery, visit their website.
- The Annual Artist Event at Valley Art Gallery (2022 Main Street) kicks off this weekend and runs through November 18th. “A Classy Affair” is a wonderful opportunity to support this Forest Grove treasure! They are offering extended hours (open 7 days a week), special event nights throughout the time and of course, best of all the offerings of many local artists. Great way to get an early jump on your holiday shopping. Among the special events is their Community Evening Celebration on Tuesday the 13th from 6:30 -8:30pm, featuring food and wine tasting and music by Timberbound, featuring locally written folk music from the 70’s! Come join us! More info on their website.
- Tuality Healthcare’s Center for Geriatric Psychiatry invites you to join them for a special celebration. They are celebrating 17 years of service to Oregon with a reception at Valley Art (2022 Main Street) on Thursday, November 15th from 4-7pm. They want to say thanks to the community for all of your support – would love to see you all there! Plan to stop by to celebrate with them!
- The monthly free Thursday night film event sponsored by the Dairy Creek Community Food Web is next Thursday, November 15th at 7:30pm at the Forest Grove Grange (1917 B Street). The feature this month is “In Organic We Trust”. For more information, visit their website.
- Tickets are now on sale for the annual Christmas with the Trail Band concert. The concert will be on Wednesday, December 5th, 7:00pm at Forest Grove High School (1401 Nichols Lane). Tickets can be purchased at the John L Scott office (FG location, 1936 Pacific Avenue) and the FGSD Office (1728 Main Street). For more information, contact Susan McDowell at 503.357.7060 or via email.
- A special thanks to Waste Management and the City of Forest Grove for their sponsorship of the annual fall Community Clean Up week. In addition to the special curbside collection many of you took advantage of this week, the event finishes up with the annual “Bulky Waste Saturday”, tomorrow (Saturday, November 10th from 9am-2pm). For complete details, visit the City of Forest Grove website.
- 4th Annual Caring for our Community Auction is Saturday, November 17; 5:30 to 9:00 pm. Live and silent auction – all proceeds benefit local agencies, severe weather shelter and other ministries of FG UCC. More info at their website. Great fun to benefit great projects! Check it out!
- SAVE THE DATE – Saturday, November 17th – BJ’s Coffee will be celebrating their 20th anniversary …all day long…from 7am -7pm …live music, food, raffles, special prices on coffee by the pound, sample roasting all day long and more!!! Stop by to help them celebrate! Thanks for a great 20 years Becky Jo and staff – we look forward to another 20!
- The City of Forest Grove Community Forestry Commission will hold a free tree pruning workshop at Talisman Park in Forest Grove beginning at 9:00 AM on Saturday, November 17, 2012. For more information, visit the City website.
- Reminder….. B Street Self Storage is collecting food as well as Christmas items for foster kids. From now until December 21st, they will have a collection barrel for the Oregon Food Bank and wish lists for the Teenagers in Foster Care thru DHS. You can drop by donations or pick up a wish list for a foster teenager at their office – 1610B Street. Give them a call at 503.359.9232 if you have questions or need further information.
- Local Girl Scout Troop 41283 is assisting again this year with the annual Forest Grove Fire & Rescue’s Annual Toy Drive with an emphasis on teens. They will be collecting donations from November 1st through December 14th. You can drop off unwrapped gifts at chamber partner Ballad Towne Chiropractic (1905 Mountain View Lane, Suite 400) or Ben Recek/Edward Jones office (1910 Main Street, Suite D, office entrance is on 19th Avenue). For more information contact Angie Lanter (503.201.0967) or Michelle Robles (503.840.7723).
- Tillamook Forest Center is open through the end of November …a short trip, worth the drive! Visit their website to check their offering of programs and events for the month, including the popular wreath making event on Thanksgiving weekend.
Our final note this week is to say good-bye to our long time community member, Ed Stadelman. Ed lost his heroic battle with brain cancer last Sunday. A true “hero” of the community, he will be missed by us all. The endless hours of volunteer time that he gave to the Chamber and the Community will never be forgotten. Our thoughts are with his family.