CHAMBER FRIDAY FLASH
November 02, 2012
Forest Grove Chamber of Commerce
Weekly News and Updates
For and From our chamber members
We are pleased to announce that Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici will be joining us at the November monthly lunch meeting, Monday, November 19th. To allow for our regular networking opportunities as well as plenty of time for her to share information with us, we will start serving lunch at 11:30am, the program will start promptly at noon and we are anticipating the meeting will adjourn about 1:15pm. This is a slightly extended time frame for the monthly lunch, so wanted to give those planning to attend plenty of notice!!!! Congresswoman Bonamici is making time to visit with our business community, we hope that many of you will have the time to join us!!!
A reminder that our lunch meetings are held at the Forest Grove Community Auditorium (1915 Main Street) and the cost is $8.00/members and $10.00/guests. Advance reservations are requested NO LATER THAN November 16th and can be made by phone (503.357.3006) or via email. We are already at approximately ½ capacity – rsvp soon to confirm your “seat”!
November “Mixer” opportunity …due to scheduling conflicts, the November Chamber Mixer is going to be rescheduled, HOWEVER, we invite you all to join us next Thursday, November 8th at Pacific University’s Stoller Center for the WCVA Westside Spotlight. Pacific University’s Conference and Event Support Services will be showcasing the facilities and meeting space opportunities at the Center. There is no admission charge, however, an RSVP is requested (by Nov 5th) for the event, which runs from 4:30pm – 6:30pm. More information and RSVP link are available here. Look forward to seeing you there!
Ballots have been mailed and all registered voters should have now received his/her ballot. If you have any questions, contact the Washington County Elections Office. We have a very important City Council race this year – five candidates vying for three open positions as well as regional, state and federal elections and a wide variety of referendums to consider. The Chamber does not endorse candidates or referendums, but encourages everyone to review information carefully and VOTE!!! If you haven’t already mailed your ballot, consider dropping it off “to be safe”! The drop box in Forest Grove is located on Pacific Avenue in front of the library (2114 Pacific). Information on other drop offs locations around Washington County can be found on the Elections office website.
Newest update bulletin the Small Business Development Center is now available. It contains information on 2013 Small Business Management classes along with other workshops and events. Click here to review the newsletter. In addition, information is now available on the free OSHA workshops being offered in November and December. Check out their website for more information.
Several members contacted the Chamber regarding Small Business Saturday. The program was started a couple years ago by American Express to promote small businesses that accepted the American Express card. The program has slowly evolved and this year the theme is the dominate message (as opposed to the card itself!). Even if you don’t accept American Express at your place of business, we encourage all small businesses to visit their website to see how you can benefit for this nationwide marketing that encourages consumers to support local small businesses. Feel free to contact Teri at the Chamber office if you’d like more information.
It’s Back …those special McTeacher Nights!!! Thanks to McDonalds of Forest Grove for once again offering this tremendous FUNraiser for the Forest Grove School District. Thursdays from 4:30pm – 7:30pm 25% of sale proceeds will go to one of the elementary schools (schedule follows). During that time, the teachers and staff are also going to help out …so you can watch your favorite teachers and staff members in action …at the counter, drive-thru…who knows …maybe even dishing up those famous fries!! The fall event kicks off with the faculty and staff of Echo Shaw Elementary School “on board” on November 1st, followed by Tom McCall on November 15th, Joseph Gale on November 29th and December 6th Cornelius Elementary.
Chamber Partners in the News:
Congratulations to Chamber Partner Henningsen Cold Storage. For the second year in a row, Henningsen has been recognized as one of the Top 3PL Providers by Food Logistics magazine. Food Logistics’ list of Top 3PLs is comprised of third party logistics providers that offer a broad scope of services and capabilities that enable food companies manage costs, increase flexibility, improve service levels and operational efficiency, and reduce capital expenditures. Proud to have you as a chamber partner! Congrats to all at HCS
Community Events and Announcements: Always lots going on ….we will provide basic info and a link and/or phone number for more details. If you need additional information, feel free to contact us. In addition, the events calendar on our website is a great source for ongoing and future activities.
- First Friday Dinner over at Forest Grove Senior and Community Center tonight (Friday, November 2nd). Always a great meal and a chance to visit with friends …contact the Center for advance reservations at 503.357.2021. Visit their website for more information on the dinner and their many other activities
- It’s HERE …..Visitation School 78th Annual Verboort Sausage & Sauerkraut Dinner! Saturday (the 3rd). Enjoy this 78 year tradition of handmade sausage, sauerkraut and applesauce made solely by hundreds of community volunteers and generations of families that have been in Verboort for over 150 years. Packaged Sausage @ $5.00/lb.and Kraut sales begin at 9 am, with other features and activities including the Country Store Bazaar, Bake Sale, Quilt Raffle, Crafts and Bingo beginning at 10am and the Beer Gardens open at 12 noon. On the go? Try the drive-thru Dinners-To-Go! Tickets sold the day of the dinner starting at 10 am. For more information, visit the Dinner website or give them a call at 503.357.6990.
- Theatre in the Grove’s production of The Rocky Horror Show opened to rave reviews last week. It runs through November 10th. For complete details and ticket order, visit their website or call them at 503.359.5349.
- Last Chance to see Forest Grove High School’s fall drama production, “I’m Sorry, the Bridge is Out, You’ll Have to Spend the Night,” has performances tonight and tomorrow night (Friday and Saturday) Details on the production are available on the School District website.
- This weekend kicks-off Pacific University’s Music Department fall concert season with a Choral Concert tonight (the 2nd) and Jazz Nite on Saturday the 3rd. (followed on the 9th with the Symphonic Band concert). Information on the concerts available on the Pacific University website.
- City of Forest Grove Blood Drive will be held TODAY, Friday, November 2nd from 1-6pm at the Community Auditorium (1915 Main Street). Do your part …donate! Not too late to schedule your appointment, contact American Red Cross at 1.800.RED.CROSS or online. Use sponsor code: ForestGroveCity …or drop by the Auditorium to check on open appointment times.
- Reminder….. B Street Self Storage is collecting food as well as Christmas items for foster kids. From now until December 21st, they will have a collection barrel for the Oregon Food Bank and wish lists for the Teenagers in Foster Care thru DHS. You can drop by donations or pick up a wish list for a foster teenager at their office – 1610B Street. Give them a call at 503.359.9232 if you have questions or need further information.
- Local Girl Scout Troop 41283 is assisting again this year with the annual Forest Grove Fire & Rescue’s Annual Toy Drive with an emphasis on teens. They will be collecting donations from November 1st through December 14th. You can drop off unwrapped gifts at chamber partner Ballad Towne Chiropractic (905 Mountain View Lane, Suite 400) or Ben Recek/Edward Jones office (1910 Main Street, Suite D, office entrance is on 19th Avenue). For more information contact Angie Lanter (503.201.0967) or Michelle Robles (503.840.7723).
- Tillamook Forest Center is open through the end of November …a short trip, worth the drive! Visit their website to check their offering of programs and events for the month, including the popular wreath making event on Thanksgiving weekend.
- 4th Annual Caring for our Community Auction is Saturday, November 17; 5:30 to 9:00 pm. Live and silent auction – all proceeds benefit local agencies, severe weather shelter and other ministries of FG UCC. More info at their website. Great fun to benefit great projects! Check it out!
- SAVE THE DATE – Saturday, November 17th – BJ’s Coffee will be celebrating their 20th anniversary …all day long…from 7am -7pm …live music, food, raffles, special prices on coffee by the pound, sample roasting all day long and more!!! More details to follow!
- The City of Forest Grove Community Forestry Commission will hold a free tree pruning workshop at Talisman Park in Forest Grove beginning at 9:00 AM on Saturday, November 17, 2012. For more information, visit the City website.
If you want to share YOUR event, workshop, activity or other business announcements with your fellow chamber members, be sure to let us know. We need to hear from you so that we can share with other!
A reminder …for news and activity updates throughout the week, visit the Chamber facebook page.
You do not have to be a “regular” facebook user to access the page and information!